This is my 30th season cruising on sailing yachts and I have cruised the South and East coasts of the UK, Belgium, France, The Netherlands and the Baltic. I have also enjoyed warmer cruising in the Mediterranean, Canaries, and Caribbean. I am qualified to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore level and have done the theory for Ocean too, but so far have not made Ocean passages. Having shared ownership of two yachts before moving to the South coast and joining PYC in 2008, I was quickly identified as a potential bosun, a role I have fulfilled ever since on Firebird, Quartette and now Spellbinder. When we get the new boat I will look after that as well.
To coordinate the maintenance of our new boat, once we have found her, working around club bookings, with the objective of keeping her in a seaworthy condition with as little interruption as possible to the sailing schedule as possible.
PYC RC Sailing for performance of the role and PYC Treasurer for expenditure.
Additional support will be provided by a wider Bosunry team.
1. Develop a maintenance plan and an operating budget with the Treasurer, RC-S and the other PYC Bosun.
2. Plan and coordinate routine maintenance, working with suppliers, contractors, and other club members.
3. Work with the Bosun of other PYC boat to share ideas and workload and endeavour to keep at least one club boat in service to support bookings.
4. Develop a network of Bosunry specialists in the club to spread the load.
5. Reactively resolve unexpected issues making use of whatever resources are available. The ability to travel to Haslar will be a strong benefit for this.
6. A willingness and ability to resolve issues hands-on will be valuable.