The Phoenix Yacht Club ("PYC", "we" or "us") is committed to providing for our members and their families, a range of affordable and easily available sailing - training, racing & cruising (both near & far) - on high quality, safe boats.
In order to do this we collect and use personal data.
This policy (together with any other documents referred to in it) describes what personal information we collect or obtain about you and how we use it.
This policy covers the following:
- Information we may collect or receive about you
- Website Cookies
- How we use your information
- How we may share your information
- Retention of your information
- Where we store information about you
- Passwords and Personal Identification Numbers
- Use of the Internet
- Your rights
- Access to information
- Right to Data Erasure
- Contact details
If you undertake any of the following activities and provide personal data to us we will endeavour to make it clear why we need it and to obtain your specific consent to use it. Children aged 16 or older may give consent for the processing of their personal data themselves, children under that age shall have parental consent. In most instances explicit consent will also be requested in order for PYC to proceed with processing that data for the agreed purpose. Your consent will also be required if you wish to visit any of the websites we may operate from time to time ("PYC Websites"). Your consent to process data will be required to:
- Access a PYC web-site;
- Subscribe for email newsletters and updates;
- Become a member of the PYC or renew membership;
- Use any PYC training materials, use any of our facilities, obtain any goods or services from us or recognised PYC RYA training;
- Purchase any goods that may from time to time be offered through PYC;
- Join any PYC committee or volunteer for the PYC in any other capacity;
- Become an instructor, appraiser, trainer or other PYC appointment holder;
Consent shall also be required for any child for whom you are responsible to participate as a member of PYC in any PYC activity, sailing development programme or provision of any PYC goods or services.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is the Phoenix Yacht Club Ltd, The Haven, Boundary Road, Grayshot, Hindhead, Surrey GU26 6TX, United Kingdom
2. Information we may collect or receive about you
Information About You
We may collect and process the following data about you:
Information you give us:
You may give us information about you by filling in forms on any PYC Website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you do any of the following things:
- Become a member of the PYC;
- Renew your membership or amend or update your membership details;
- Subscribe for email newsletters and updates;
- Purchase any of our goods or services;
- Register as a candidate for any PYC appraisal, training or coaching programme;
- Join any PYC committee or volunteer for the PYC in any other capacity;
- Participate as a member of any PYC sailing programme, racing squad or team;
- Become an instructor, appraiser, trainer, coach, or appointment holder;
- Enter or sign up for any sporting event, introductory day, or experience run by us.
When you do any of the following things:
- Register to use any PYC Website;
- Visit any PYC Website;
- Search any PYC Website for a product or service or for information or guidance;
- Participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on any PYC Website;
- Report a problem with any PYC Website;
- Enter a competition, promotion or survey run by PYC;
The information you give us may include:
- Your name, address, e-mail address and phone number(s), personal description and photograph;
- The name, address, email address and phone number of your next of kin and/or emergency contact;
- Details of any relevant training records and training plans;
- Details of your qualifications including the results of any examination, assessment or training course provided by us or by any recognised training centre and any accompanying notes and observations regarding your performance;
- Details of your participation and performance in sailing events and competitions;
- Details of any relevant boating, yachting or other sea faring experience you may have;
- Health information including your age range and any particular health conditions or mental or physical impairments you may have;
- And any relevant dietary records and details of your dietary requirements.
Additional Information we collect about you when you visit any PYC Website:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or mobile device to the internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time);
- Products and services you viewed or searched for;
- Page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our contact service number;
Information about you which we may receive from other sources.
We may receive information about you from others with whom we work, including:
- Business partners, affiliated clubs and recognised training centres both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the European Economic Area ("EEA"));
- Coaches, instructors, examiners and assessors;
- Sailing regulatory and funding bodies both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the EEA);
- Sub-contractors in technical, payment and delivery services;
- Advertising networks and analytics providers;
- Search information providers;
And we may receive information about you from others on your behalf or at your request, for example if:
- Any person makes a booking for any of our training courses, facilities or other services on your behalf;
- You are a minor and your parent or legal guardian provides us with information about
you on your behalf;
- Or we take up references for you or seek verification of any of your qualifications from
any referee you may have put forward.
The information about you which we may receive from other sources may include:
- Details of your membership of other sporting bodies;
- The results of any criminal records searches which we may conduct;
- Information received in the course of providing advisory services to recognised training centres and affiliated clubs on safeguarding and child protection.
3. Website Cookies
Cookies are also used in email messages you have agreed to receive and at our website to help us measure the effectiveness of our advertising and how visitors use our site. If you click on a link in the e-mail, we may set a cookie on your browser.
If you visit PYC (www.phoenixyachtclub.co.uk ) as a result of clicking on a link, we are able to understand how you interact with the pages of our website through the combination of the cookie and pixels set on the pages of our website. This enables us to understand what interested you in our emails and what did not, and what interests you about our website and what does not. We can then try to send you more interesting information in the future. Please note that this information is for our use only – we do not disclose or share this information with any third parties other than analytics providers. If you do not wish this to happen, you can change the cookie settings in your browser.
Use of pixels:
In order to understand how you interact with the emails and the content that we send, we use pixels in the email in order to understand who has opened the message. In order to provide our content in the most interesting way, we may also use pixels to learn whether you can receive emails in text or html form.
4. How we use your information
We use information held about you to fulfil our obligations to you in the following ways:
- To administer your membership of PYC and provide membership information and membership benefits to you;
- To carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with any products and services that you request from us including: race entries; equipment loans; participation events; social events; coaching and training services; and examination and assessment services;
- To register you as a qualification or credential holder, volunteer, committee member or in some other capacity;
To keep you updated in the following ways:
- If you are a member of the PYC, to notify you about changes to our membership benefits, products, facilities or services;
- To notify you of any changes or proposed changes in any laws, regulations or best practice in relation to boating, yachting and other related activities which we feel may be of interest to you;
- To provide you with information about goods or services we feel may interest you.
If you are a new member or customer we will contact you by electronic means only if you have explicitly consented to this. If you do not want us to use your data in this way, for marketing purposes, please tick the relevant box situated on the membership form or registration form which we use to collect your data. If you withhold consent, the only information we will send are formal notices of General Meetings;
In relation to the operation of PYC Websites which you use:
- To ensure that content from the site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer or mobile device.
- To administer the site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- To identify and implement improvements in the operation of the site, the content included
on the site and the way in which content is presented;
- To allow you to participate in interactive features of the site, when you choose to do so;
- As part of our efforts to keep the site safe and secure;
- To measure or understand the effectiveness and relevance of advertising on the site.
Other Uses of the information we hold about you.
- We may also use the information we hold about you for the following additional purposes:
- If you apply to join PYC, or to join a team or for training or appraisal, we may use the information to assess your application and fitness to act in that capacity;
- If you ask us to provide any verification of your qualifications or experience or if you refer any person to us to obtain any verification of your qualifications or experience, we may use your data to provide the verification sought;
- To consider any complaints made to us about you which is of legitimate concern to us.
5. How we may share your information
We may share your information with certain third parties provided you give explicit consent for that purpose including:
- Suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you;
- Affiliated clubs and recognised training centres both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the European Union) who require the data in order to provide services which you have requested or to conduct any examinations or assessments which you have requested;
- Examiners, assessors, trainers and coaches who require the data in order to provide services which you have requested or to conduct any examinations or assessments which you have requested;
- Race officers and race organisers of events held or managed by PYC or other authorities, organisations or agencies who require the data in order to look after your welfare and who may require to pass the same to emergency and medical services providers;
- Sailing regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the European Union);
- Organisers of sailing events in which you propose to participate both in the UK and overseas (including countries outside of the European Union);
- To your prospective employers and any other persons you may refer to us for the purpose of obtaining from us any references or verification of your qualifications or experience;
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site;
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties with your explicit consent:
If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any
legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply any contract or terms in force between you
and us; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of PYC, our customers, members or others.
6. Retention of your information
We may keep and process your personal data for so long as you remain a member or where the data is obtained from you as a qualification or credential holder or in some other capacity we may keep and process the data for so long as you continue, to our knowledge, to hold that qualification, credential or other capacity.
Where your membership lapses we will within a reasonable time of the lapse occurring cease actively processing and delete your data as a member but may retain your name and e-mail details for up to two years for the purpose of facilitating the renewal by you of your membership.
Where your qualification or credential or other capacity in which we hold your data lapses we will continue to actively process your data for up to five years for the purpose of facilitating the renewal by you of such qualification or credential or other capacity.
We may also retain and process your personal data in a format that does not permit identification of you for historical and statistical purposes. Please also refer to Section 10 below.
7. Where we store your personal data
8. Passwords and Personal Identification Numbers
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password or PIN which enables you to access certain parts of any PYC Website or any other PYC information you are responsible for keeping this password or PIN confidential. We ask you not to share passwords and PIN with anyone.
9. Use of the Internet
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to us; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
10. Your Rights
If we retain your personal data after you cease to be a member of the PYC, or cease to be a
qualification or credential holder or cease to hold the capacity in which the personal data was obtained from you then you have the right to ask us not to process your personal data.
You can exercise this right at any time by contacting us at Admin@Phoenixyachtclub.co.uk You also have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes we will seek your explicit consent. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at Admin@Phoenixyachtclub.co.uk Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of other organisations that we consider of potential interest to our members. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
11. Access to information
You have the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised at any time and PYC has the legal right to levy a fee for this service; any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you. You can exercise this right at any time by requesting an information access report which details the information we hold about you, please send your request in writing to the at the following address:
Phoenix Yacht Club Ltd,
The Haven, Boundary Road,
We aim to issue an initial response to all enquiries within five working days, and will offer a full response to all information access requests within one month of receipt.
12. Right to data erasure
You have the right to have your data ‘erased’ in certain specific situations - in essence where the processing fails to satisfy the requirements of the Data Protection Act (DPA). The right can be exercised against PYC, who must respond without undue delay (and in any event within one month, although this can be extended in difficult cases).
This shall apply:
- When data are no longer necessary for the purpose for which they were collected or processed;
- If you withdraw consent in writing to processing your data and there is no other justification for processing.
Phoenix Yacht Club Ltd,
The Haven, Boundary Road,