2018 Summer Cruise Week 1 – Haslar to Falmouth

Week 1 Crew relaxing at Royal Fowey Yacht Club

Week 1 Crew: Trevor Nicholls(S), Bob Cousins (M), Allan Wright, Jonathan Lees, Stephen King, and Philip Harries.

Saturday 2ndJune - we set off around 1530 after a slight delay following completion of some preparatory works on the boat, so with this delay and the tide turning soon we chose to take the passage out of the Eastern Solent and enjoyed a great sail past Bembridge Ledge and around to St Catherine’s Point. Unfortunately as the evening set in the wind dropped and dropped, until eventually we had to give in and engage the iron sail.  So after a long motor through the night we arrived in Dartmouth Haven Marina (Kingswear) Sunday morning.

After a short spell up the mast by our Commodore to fix a jammed windex, we enjoyed a superb lunch in the Dartmouth Yacht Club (we got lucky and arrived just before they finished and the chef was only too pleased for us to help him clear off his carvery).  The afternoon was spent looking around Dartmouth with a comparative trip to the Royal Dart Yacht Club in the evening and then back to bed ready for our sail around to Salcombe on Monday morning

Kingswear and the marina on the River Dart

On Monday we had a good sail around to Salcombe and picked up the second buoy as we went in – even before the main season starts this place is getting busy. So a trip ashore to explore the town (albeit dinghy parking here can be a challenge) and then off to the Boatswaine’s Brasserie for a great seafood dinner.  Then again off to the boat, and into bed before our passage to the River Yealm on the Tuesday.

Dinghy parking in Salcombe – now where did I put it??

Dinghy parking in Salcombe – now where did I put it??


Sadly the River Yealm was damp and cold, but we still managed to pump up the dinghy and explore Noss Mayo, and the Ship Inn (unfortunately the Swan is closed for refurbishment at the moment) and then back to the boat for chorizo jambalaya.  Then off to Fowey on Wednesday, with Jonathan Lees as acting skipper for the day.  Fowey is beautiful and welcoming old town. So after the crew taking showers at the Gallants Sailing Club, we went off to the Royal Fowey Yacht Club for a beer, only to find that racing was about to start, so we felt it was only polite to stay and watch the start (along with another beer) before going off into town for some more seafood at The Lugger.

View of Fowey with the Yacht Club on the left

View of Fowey with the Yacht Club on the left



Racing off the RFYC

Racing off the RFYC


On Thursday it was off to Helford River, with Jonny as skipper again – seemed he enjoyed it so much the day before. The Helford River is a beautiful and tranquil spot, so we picked up a buoy and a few of the crew went exploring ashore whilst others stayed on board doing a few boat jobs and prepared chicken and lentil curry for the evening.  Checking the weather forecast Friday was looking a bit windless, so a plan was hatched to send the day creeping slowly back to Falmouth, with Steve as skipper, and fishing.

So after leaving Helford River the lines were set and off we went trawling a couple if mackerel lures.  After about 15 minutes of no bites, Bob decided it wasn’t worth it and hauled his line in, no sooner had he done this and Jonny got a bite and pulled in a lovely mackerel.  So as quick as he could Bob deployed his tackle and the race was on, we spent the next hour fishing and the final score was Bob 3 and Jonny 6.  So it was heads off, guts out and into the oven.  Before mooring up in Falmouth for the end of week 1. So boat cleaned, washing done and crew change for week 2.

Trevor Nicholls, Skipper

No Comments Yet.

Leave a comment

You must be Logged in to post a comment.