I have been sailing since I was a kid and that was in both dinghies and a very small cruiser (recall the 17ft Hurley Silhouette?) with my family.
So I started coastal sailing in my 20s (with friends not parents) and did some of the RYA courses and we shared two yachts on the east coast, a Sadler 29 and a Westerly 33. When we moved to the south coast was when we discovered PYC and joined that about 10 years ago.
I am mostly retired now and tend to prefer to sail mid-week since it is much easier to organise and frees the boats up for people who still have to work full-time. I am married to Richard Ash and hence the term ‘we’ in the sailing we do together.
I mostly like discovering new places and re-visiting old favourites in UK sailing. I love sailing in the sun and we have had many enjoyable holidays in the Mediterranean, Caribbean, Canaries, but also Stockholm archipelago and Denmark. Last year we went up to Scotland sailing 4 times and the weather was kind, warm and indeed sunny too. I am a fair-weather sailor and rarely sail in horrible weather and the winter.
I am qualified to RYA Yachtmaster Offshore but I am Coastal skipper with PYC simply because I do not get much pleasure out of the longer passages.
In PYC I am the cruising officer on the sailing committee and one of my bigger tasks is to coordinate the summer cruise. If you have ideas of where we can go on future years please let me know
To promote and develop cruising within the club.
Rear Commodore - Sailing
- To develop an annual cruising programme, seeking the views of and input from other members.
- To identify skipper and crew requirements, and any other limiting factors, for any passages.
- To work with the MarComms Officer promoting cruise options and plans to members.
- To work with the Bookings Officer and develop an appropriate timescale and process for bookings, that ensures fairness to all members.
- To identify chart, pilot and any other material needs for all passages and the effect on sailing fee supplements.
- To work with the Bosun of the boat in use to ensure that the boat is suitable for the cruising area and passages, including any legal or special requirements.
- To work with other members of the sailing committee in developing and achieving SC operational objectives.